Welcome to George Mason University. We look forward to meeting you and to helping you get settled!
|TO DO LIST|
One of the first things new F or J nonimmigrant students typically want to do after entering the United States is get a driver’s license or, where appropriate, an SSN. Like many things, however, correct timing is everything. Following these six simple tips makes the process go much smoother and saves a lot of time in the end:
1. Wait 10 days after you arrive in the United States.
2. Know what you are applying for and if you are eligible.
3. Make sure your record in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is up-to-date and in Active status.
4. Check your forms.
5. Wait two days after your Advisor activates your record in SEVIS.
6. Bring all your paperwork.
These six tips should help you get your driver’s license or SSN without having any major problems. If you are interested in specific details about F-2 or J-2 dependents, please see page 8 of the DMV Fact Sheet. Always talk with your Advisor before you try to apply. Safe travels!