The International Student Advisory Board (ISAB) informs and advises the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) at George Mason University on feedbacks and concerns from the international student community in order to provide effective and successful programs and services. Working with OIPS and other campus offices and units, ISAB aims to better the lives of international students by providing feedback, challenging current policies, and designing new initiatives.
The leadership team of ISAB is composed of no more than 10 international students from all schools and colleges at Mason, representing a wide range of cultures, disciplines, and experiences. The ISAB leadership team is made up of undergraduate representatives, Master’s student representatives, doctoral representatives, as well as representatives of special topics that concern international students. The application process is open to all international students at Mason and seeks to seat a board that is highly diverse broadly representative of the University’s international student body.
The term of board service is one academic year.
Board members will:
- Be an accessible and visible resource for the international student community.
- Foster a supportive intercultural learning community among international students.
- Keep the University accountable and responsive to international students and their concerns.
- Act as campus leaders in encouraging discussions, collecting feedback, advocating for the needs, and raising the visibility of international students.
Eligibility to serve on the board
- Current Mason international student and Mason Alumni. However, in order for current Mason students to serve as leadership roles on the board, they need to be in an active status, i.e. currently enrolled.
- Possess a passion and commitment to serve fellow international students.
- In good student standing regarding Mason’s student code of conduct.
- Cumulative GPA 2.5 for current Mason students.
Responsibilities of ISAB Board Members
- Attend monthly ISAB meetings (Depending on the semester, in-person or virtual meetings take place on the first Thursday of the month 7:00-8:00 PM during regular semesters: Fall and Spring).
- Undertake special projects or events within the purview of ISAB’s responsibilities and under the direction of the OIPS.
- Determine to hold at least one open forum per year to discuss international community issues or to seek other venues for community input.
- A student may not maintain membership with ISAB if s/he plans to study abroad during the academic year or has other obligations that prevent participation in regular meetings. A typical meeting lasts about one hour.
- More than two unexcused absences from regularly scheduled ISAB meetings are grounds for dismissal from ISAB.
- Board membership is effective for one academic year but is renewable for one additional year with the discretion of the Assistant Director for International Programs, and the Graduate Professional Assistant for Intercultural Engagement at OIPS.
We expect all members to be open to discussing challenging topics and campus issues; be collaborative advocates; be willing to challenge and be challenged; actively contribute to meetings and activities of the board, and be passionate about working toward a truly inclusive and just campus community.
For any questions regarding ISAB, please contact Yali Pan, Assistant Director for International Programs at OIPS, firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are committed to furthering internationalization at Mason and passionate about serving on the board, please fill out the application below. DEADLINE FOR THE APPLICATION FOR ISAB A.Y. 2021-2022 is on AUGUST 6, 2021, 11:59 PM.
Note: Regular attendance and participation are required (1st Thursday of the month 7:00-8:00 PM) so make sure that you can commit before submitting your application. Thank you!