OIPS offers many different volunteer opportunities to suit your interests, skills and availability. This program will help you to grow a global mindset and connect with students from all over the world.
Please review the information on this page; instructions for joining our volunteer program are at the bottom.
Orientation volunteers assist the OIPS team with set-up, check-in, lunch and icebreakers during International Student Orientation in August and January.
PACE Discussion Leaders
PACE discussion leaders share their experiences at Mason with new international students. PACE stands for Professional, Academic, and Cultural Engagement.
iCafe Planning Team
The iCafe Planning Team hosts iCafe in October, November, February and March. It is a great opportunity to showcase your country/culture and interact with students from different cultural backgrounds.
iWeek volunteers assist the iWeek co-chairs with the iWeek parade, flag stringing and dance competition in April.
OIPS Content Contributors
OIPS content contributors provide content for the OIPS Blackboard organizations "International Student Launchpad" and "Mason International."
OIPS Feedback Forum
The OIPS Feedback Forum gathers students in an effort to assess our programs and services to better serve the Mason community.
OIPS Guest Speakers
OIPS guest speakers share their experience as a Mason student at orientation, a workshop or a conference.
OIPS Event Volunteers
OIPS event volunteers assist the OIPS team with planning and execution of social and cultural events, including Welcome Week events and the nThanksgiving Dinner.
As a VIP, you will have the opportunity to:
- grow your global mindset
- build your resume through volunteering
- interact with students from different cultural backgrounds
- improve your cross-cultural communication skills
- learn how to plan an event
- help incoming students adjust to a new culture
- work in a cross-functional team
- improve services and programs provided by OIPS
- earn credit toward the Global and Multicultural Competency Pathway
The time commitment depends on type of event:
- OIPS Feedback Forum Volunteer: the commitment is about 1.5 hours
- Orientation Volunteer: the commitment is about 6 hours
- PACE Discussion Leader: the commitment is about 3 hours
- iCafe Planning Team: the commitment is about 8 hours
- iWeek volunteer: the commitment is about 6 hours
- OIPS Content Contributor: the commitment is about 1 hour
- Univ 100 Volunteer: the commitment is about 1 hour
- OIPS Guest Speaker: the commitment is about 3 hours
- OIPS Event Volunteer: the commitment is about 3 hours
- OIPS Tech Chef: the commitment varies depending on the project
Read what an international graduate student from Iran had to say about volunteering for orientation in Fall 2015:
"I literally enjoyed every single second of our orientation today. I was lucky that I got the chance to meet my group of students today because they are an awesome group of people! We all had a very exciting and fun time together so we kept walking and talking until after 5 PM. It was truly one of the most exciting days of my life! We all made new friends!! I want to thank you for the opportunity."
Apply to be a VIP!
Volunteer opportunities are advertised through the organization "VIP" in getconnected.gmu.edu.
To sign up:
- go to getconnected.gmu.edu
- log in with your Mason username and password
- select organizations in the top menu
- enter "VIP" in the search box
- Join the organization
When we have volunteer opportunities available, we'll send an e-mail to everyone in the VIP organization on GetConnected with a link to sign-up for specific tasks or time slots for that event or opportunity. If you have any questions about the program, please contact Jonathan Carmona at firstname.lastname@example.org.