INTO Mason Students

International Week Flags in JC

Welcome to George Mason University! As you develop the language and academic skills necessary for future academic success, you can get help understanding and following F-1 visa status rules from the OIPS advising team and learn about participation in social and cultural events from the OIPS programming team. We hope to provide these services to you throughout your studies at George Mason, from the time you are enrolled at INTO Mason to when you progress to academic studies and graduate from your degree program.

What is INTO Mason?

INTO Mason is a partnership between the company INTO and George Mason University to provide English language (Academic English) and academic preparation coursework (Pathway programs) to students who do not yet meet the academic or English language proficiency level required for regular admission to the university.  Click here to learn more about INTO Mason.

Question about your F-1 Visa Status?

If you have any questions about your F-1 visa status, speak with an OIPS advisor!

There are three options to get help:

  • Option 1: Email (please include your full name, G number, and reason)
  • Option 2: Come to walk-in hours in OIPS (SUB I, room 4300)
  • Option 3: Schedule an appointment

A detailed walk-in and appointment schedule is listed below.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, we will not hold in person appointment and walk-in hours as indicated below.   Please email to schedule a virtual appointment.

Appointments & Walk-in Hours

Can I work on campus?

Yes, INTO Mason students are eligible to work on campus.  If you meet the eligibility requirements, you, your employer and your academic advisor must complete and sign the On-campus Employment Certification form.  

Can I work off campus?

No. You must be a full-time student for at least one academic year and must be in degree status for at least one academic year in order to be eligible for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).  The INTO Mason Pathway program is considered as non-degree, and therefore, time as an INTO Mason Pathway student does not count toward the one academic year requirement.  Once you have completed one academic year in a degree program, you are eligible to apply for CPT and OPT.

Mason in Motion

You might also be interested in the following videos: