Step 1: Review New to Mason Resources
Step 2: Review the Orientation Information
All new Mason Korea students are required to attend the on-campus orientation on Tuesday, August 15, 2023, at the Fairfax campus. More information will be provided to you later.
During the Summer, Mason Korea students will receive another e-mail from the Office of International Programs and Services (OIPS) with information about a MANDATORY Immigration and Compliance Meeting that we will provide to incoming students. This live virtual presentation is slated to be on Monday, August 7, 2023, for F-1 undergraduate students.
If you are a Mason Korea student you do NOT need to complete the online registration form.
Step 3: Prepare Immunization Documents
All Mason students born after December 31, 1956, must provide proof of compliance with immunization requirements mandated by the Commonwealth of Virginia and George Mason University.
Students are encouraged to complete the five immunization requirements BEFORE they travel to the US. Students must submit a completed GMU Immunization Form signed by a health care provider. Students may upload the form to the patient portal along with any blood test reports and/or chest x-ray reports.
The five requirements are listed below:
1. Hepatitis B (shots or blood test report)
2. Measles, Mumps & Rubella (shots or blood test report)
3. Meningococcal (shot)
4. Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis (shot)
5. Tuberculosis (skin test or Quantiferon blood test report) **If your home country is listed on p. 2 of the Immunization Record Form AND you have not lived in the US for the past five years, TB testing is required.
Students can complete the five immunization requirements upon arrival at Mason, however, wait times for immunizations can be long. To learn more about the immunization requirements, and proof of immunization, or to print the Immunization form go to the Student Health Website.
The deadline to submit the Immunization Record Form and supporting documents (labs and chest x-ray reports if completed) are Tuesday, August 1, 2023. We recommend you upload your completed form to the patient portal for review.
For location and office hours, visit the Immunizations website.
NOTE: Some students submit the Immunization Record form and supporting documents online to the patient portal and other students prefer to drop off their documents in person upon arrival at Mason. Once you have completed all the requirements, you will receive a secure message from the patient portal. The message will state if your records are complete or if more information is needed.
Step 4: Complete International Student Check-in
All incoming international students in F-1 status are required to check in with OIPS upon arrival in the US. You can check-in online and the process takes less than 30 minutes.
- Incoming international transfer students (transferring from another institution in the US) AND current Mason students who will pursue another degree can check-in online starting Saturday, July 1, 2023;
- All other newly incoming international students can check-in online starting Friday, July 14, 2023;
IMPORTANT: The online international student check-in is mandatory! Not doing so could cause problems with a variety of administrative requirements. The check-in due date is Monday, August 28, 2023. If you fail to check in by this date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.
If you experience any problems with your online check-in, please complete the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form. An OIPS staff member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Click here to access the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form.
To get started, go to: https://oips.gmu.edu/international-student-check-in-form/
Step 5: Submit your Immunization Documents
- The deadline to submit the Immunization Record form and supporting documents is Tuesday, August 1, 2023. We strongly advise you to complete all the requirements BEFORE classes start to avoid long lines. For location and office hours, visit the Immunizations website.
- NOTE: Some students submit the Immunization Record form and supporting documents online (via email) and other students prefer to drop off their documents in person upon arrival at Mason. Once you have completed all the requirements, you will receive an email from the Immunization Office stating "Your records have been received and are complete."
Step 6: Attend Orientation
All new Mason Korea students in F-1 status are required to attend the on-campus orientation on Tuesday, August 15, 2023, at the Fairfax campus. Sessions include Immigration Compliance, the Honor Code, and Campus Resources.
Welcome to Mason and we are very excited for you to be joining our dynamic international student community!
Questions? Email the Mason Korea liason at email@example.com
Step 7: Pay Fees
- Review your tuition, health insurance, and fees bill online:
- Go to Patriot Web
- Click on “Student Services”
- Select “Student Accounts”
- Review payment options:
- George Mason University offers a variety of payment options (online, cash, check, credit card, payment installment plans). To learn more about the payment methods, visit http://studentaccounts.gmu.edu/payment-information/
- George Mason has partnered with Flywire to streamline the tuition payment process for our international students. Flywire allows students to pay from any country and any bank. They also offer excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save a significant amount of money, compared to traditional banks. You will be able to track the progress of your payment throughout the transfer process via a student dashboard and you will also be notified via email when your payment is received by Mason. If you need to make an international payment, please visit Flywire.
- Pay your tuition, health insurance, and fees by the deadline:
- The tuition deadline is Monday, August 21, 2023.
- You do not need to wait to pay your bill until Monday, August 21, 2023. You can pay in advance. In case you paid too much, you can request a refund. For more information, review the FAQs.
In addition to the steps above, you will also need to:
- Get your Mason ID. Check out the Mason ID card website for locations and hours of operations. You need to be registered for at least one class and bring your passport.
- Review the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources web page. This document will educate you on what your plan covers and what it costs. If you have any questions about your plan or you would like to request a health insurance waiver (deadline: September 15, 2023), please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include your name and G number).
- Subscribe to Mason Alert to learn about emergencies and important updates. This is optional but highly encouraged.
- Create your profile in Mason 360 (https://mason360.gmu.edu) to learn about upcoming events and connect with student organizations on campus. Did you know that Mason has over 300 student organizations? Membership is FREE for enrolled students.