Step 1: Review New to Mason Resources
Step 2: Review the Orientation and Welcome Week Itinerary
All F-1 Undergraduate Freshman Students are required to attend an on-campus Orientation held at the Fairfax campus on Thursday January, 16th 2020.
** The International Student Orientation for Undergraduate Students is co-hosted by the Office of Orientation and Family Programs & Services and the Office of International Programs and Services.
To register for orientation, go to http://orientation.gmu.edu.
Step 3: Prepare Immunization Documents
All Mason students born after December 31, 1956, must provide proof of compliance with immunization requirements mandated by the Commonwealth of Virginia and George Mason University.
All students must fill the Immunization Record Form and submit it to the Student Health Immunization Office by the Tuesday, January 21, 2020. Students are encouraged to complete the five immunization requirements BEFORE they travel to the US. Students must submit a completed GMU Immunization Form signed by a health care provider. Students may upload the form to the patient portal along with any blood test reports and/or chest x-ray reports.
The five requirements are listed below:
1. Hepatitis B (shots or blood test report)
2. Measles, Mumps & Rubella (shots or blood test report)
3. Meningococcal (shot)
4. Tetanus, Diphtheria & Pertussis (shot)
5. Tuberculosis (skin test or Quantiferon blood test report) **If your home country is listed on p. 2 of the Immunization Record Form AND you have not lived in the US for the past five years, TB testing is required.
Students can complete the five immunization requirements upon arrival at Mason, however, wait times for immunization appointments can be long. To learn more about the immunization requirements, proof of immunization, or to print the Immunization form go to the Student Health Website.
The deadline to submit the Immunization Record Form and supporting documents (labs and chest x-ray reports if completed) is Tuesday, January 21, 2020. We recommend you upload your completed form to the patient portal for review.
For location and office hours, visit the Immunizations website.
NOTE: Some students submit the Immunization Record form and supporting documents online to the patient portal and other students prefer to drop off their documents in person upon arrival at Mason. Once you have completed all the requirements, you will receive a secure message from the patient portal. The message will state if your records are complete or if more information is needed.
Step 4: Complete International Student Check-in
All incoming international students in F-1 status are required to check in with OIPS upon arrival in the US. You can check in online and the process takes less than 30 minutes.
- Incoming international transfer students (transferring from another institution in the US) AND current Mason students who will pursue another degree can check in online starting Monday, December 21, 2019;
- All other newly incoming international students can check in online starting Saturday, December 14, 2019.
IMPORTANT: The online international student check-in is mandatory! Not doing so could cause problems with a variety of administrative requirements. The check-in due date is Tuesday, January 28, 2020. If you fail to check in by this date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.
If you experience any problems with your online check-in, please complete the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form. An OIPS staff member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Click here to access the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form.
To get started, go to: http://oips.gmu.edu/international-student-check-in-form/
Step 5: Submit your Immunization Documents
- The deadline to submit the Immunization Record form and supporting documents is Tuesday, January 21, 2020. We strongly advise you to complete all the requirements BEFORE classes start to avoid long lines. For location and office hours, visit the Immunizations website.
- NOTE: Some students submit the Immunization Record form and supporting documents online (via email) and other students prefer to drop off their documents in person upon arrival at Mason. Once you have completed all the requirements, you will receive an email from the Immunization Office stating "Your records have been received and are complete."
Step 6: Visit the OIPS Welcome Desk and Attend Orientation
OIPS Welcome Desk
- Once you have arrived in the US, you will need to complete several tasks before your classes begin. If you are not sure how or where to start, please visit the OIPS Welcome Desk on the fourth floor of SUB I between Monday, January 13 through Friday, January 24, 11 am - 4 pm, 11 am - 4 pm (the OIPS Welcome Desk is closed on Saturdays and Sundays). Our OIPS Welcome Desk Assistant, will help you to find the right resources and answer any questions you may have.
- In January, the OIPS team will host a number of info sessions to help you with your transition. Click here to learn more.
- Date: Thursday, January 16, 2020
- Time: 9am - 5pm
- Venue: JC Dewberry Hall (Fairfax campus)
Click here to view the schedule. Questions? Email Jonathan Carmona at email@example.com
Step 7: Pay Fees
1. Review your tuition, health insurance and fees bill online:
- Go to Patriot Web
- Click on “Student Services”
- Select “Student Accounts”
2. Review payment options:
- George Mason University offers a variety of payment options (online, cash, check, credit card, payment installment plans). To learn more about the payment methods, visit http://studentaccounts.gmu.edu/payment-information/
- George Mason has partnered with Flywire to streamline the tuition payment process for our international students. Flywire allows students to pay from any country and any bank. They also offer excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save a significant amount of money, compared to traditional banks. You will be able to track the progress of your payment throughout the transfer process via a student dashboard and you will also be notified via email when your payment is received by Mason. If you need to make an international payment, please visit Flywire.
3. Pay your tuition, health insurance and fees by the deadline:
- The tuition deadline is Tuesday, January 21, 2020.
- You do not need to wait to pay your bill until Tuesday, January 21, 2020. You can pay in advance. In case you paid too much, you can request a refund. For more information, review the FAQs.
Step 8: Complete the Module Rules, Rules, Rules!
The Blackboard course “International Student Launchpad” is a virtual one-stop shop for F-1 and J-1 students. The Blackboard organization is structured like an online course and consists of several instructional modules. Note that the word “module” does not refer to computer programming but rather to an educational component or section of a course.
The module "Rules, Rules, Rules"! educates incoming international students about important rules and regulations, including Immigration Compliance, The Honor Code and Student Conduct. The module "Navigating US Health Care" educates incoming students about health care terms and what steps to take to get care.
Incoming international students will be enrolled in this module and receive a hand-out with instructions on how to access the International Student Launchpad during the International Student Check-in. The quizzes will open on Friday, January 7, 2020. All students are required to complete the module “Rules, Rules, Rules!” by Friday, January 21, 2020.
A hold will be put on the account of students who fail to complete the module by the deadline. Students who have a hold on their account will be unable to register for classes for the next semester and/or request a transcript from the University Registrar.
In addition to the steps above, you will also need to:
- Get your Mason ID. Check out the Mason ID card website for locations and hours of operations. You need to be registered for at least one class and bring your passport.
- Review the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources web page. This document will educate you what your plan covers and what it costs. If you have any questions about your plan, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include your name and G number).
- Subscribe to Mason Alert to learn about emergencies and important updates. This is optional but highly encouraged.
- Create your profile in Mason 360 (https://mason360.gmu.edu) to learn about upcoming events and connect with student organizations on campus. Did you know that Mason has over 300 student organizations? Membership is FREE for enrolled students.