*** This web page is for F-1 students ONLY. If you are a J-1 student, please click here to access the International Student Check-in Form for J-1 Students ***
All incoming international students in F-1 status are required to check-in online. Not doing so could cause problems with a variety of administrative requirements. Once your check-in has been completed, the SEVIS coordinator will change your SEVIS status from "pending" to "active."
- Incoming international transfer students (transferring from another institution in the US) AND current Mason students who will pursue another degree can check-in online starting Monday, December 12th, 2022;
- All other newly incoming international students can check in online starting Monday, December 19th, 2022.
- The final date to check in online is Wednesday, February 1st, 2023. If you fail to check-in by this date, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further guidance.
Carefully review the instructions. After the instructions, you will see two green buttons. Click on the button "International Student Check-in Form" to start your check-in.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THE FORM?
On average it takes approximately 30 minutes to complete the International Student Check-in. You cannot save your work until you have uploaded all of the required documents. You will have to complete the check-in form in one session (after 45 minutes you will be logged out of the system). We recommend you gather the required documents before you get started.
WHO MUST CHECK IN?
- All new international students in F-1 status
- All new international students in F-1 status who transferred from another school in the US and will begin a program at Mason
- All current international students in F-1 status who will begin another program at Mason
WHEN CAN I CHECK IN?
- You must be present in the U.S. AND have a form I-20 from George Mason University BEFORE you can begin the check-in process.
- You must have activated your Patriot Pass in order to access the form
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR CHECK-IN
For All Students:
- I-20 from George Mason University
- Passport (biographical page), F-1 Visa and U.S. Entry Stamp (Except for Canadian Citizens)
- SEVIS Fee Receipt I-901 (Go to www.fmjfee.com and select "Check I-901 Status/Print Payment Confirmation)
- I-94 Arrival Record* (Go to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home and select "Get Most Recent I-94")
* The I-94 form is proof of your legal visitor status and it reflects your U.S. arrival and departure history for the past 5 years. Please note that your I-94 Arrival Record will only be available for download AFTER you have been in the U.S. for 3-5 days. For example, if you arrive in the U.S. on Sunday, December 18th, 2022, your I-94 Arrival Record may not be available until Friday, December 23rd, 2022.
In addition, you may also need to submit the following:
For Students with an On-Campus Job (GTA, GRA, Bookstore, etc.):
- Job Offer Letter
For Students with Dependents (A dependent can be a spouse or child in F-2 status):
- I-20 for Dependents
- Passport for Dependents
- F-2 Visa and U.S. Entry Stamp for Dependents
You can use a computer or a mobile device (tablet or smart phone) to complete the Online Check-In Form. If you do not have access to a computer and/or internet, you can use one of the Mason computers in the computer labs or libraries. For more information about Mason Wi-Fi, click here.
ACCEPTED FILE UPLOAD FORMATS
Accepted File Upload Formats are pdf, jpeg, png and word doc. We accept documents as scans, screenshots and photos. If the quality of the document is not good (illegible or the entire image wasn't scanned) your check-in request will be rejected and you will need to upload new versions of your documents.
PROBLEMS WITH YOUR ONLINE CHECK-IN?
If you experience any problems with your online check-in, please complete the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form or send a chat message (scroll down to find the chat icon). An OIPS staff member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Click here to access the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form.
Ready for Check-in?
Answer the following questions:
- Are you currently in the US or you are a Change of Level student outside of the U.S. without the intention of arriving in the U.S. for the Spring 2023 semester?
- Do you have a valid I-20 from George Mason University?
- Is today's date Monday, December 12, 2022, or later? (Applies to international transfer students in F-1 status and current Mason students who will pursue another degree in F-1 status ONLY)
- Is today's date Monday, December 19, 2022, or later? (Applies to all other newly incoming international students in F-1 status)
- Did you prepare all the required documents?
- Have you activated your Patriot Pass?
If you answered "yes" to all of the questions above, then you are ready to begin your check-in! Click on the green button "International Student Check-in Form for F-1 Students" to proceed.