*** This web page is for J-1 students ONLY. If you are an F-1 student, please click here to access the International Student Check-in Form for F-1 Students ***
All incoming international students in J-1 status are required to check in online. Not doing so could cause problems with a variety of administrative requirements. Once your check-in has been completed, the SEVIS coordinator will change your SEVIS status from "pending" to "active."
- Incoming J-1 students can check in online starting January 4, 2021
Carefully review the instructions. After the instructions, you will see two green buttons. Click on the button "International Student Check-in Form for J-1 Students" to start your check-in.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO COMPLETE THE FORM?
On average it takes approximately 30 minutes to complete the International Student Check-in. You cannot save your work until you have uploaded all of the required documents. You will have to complete the check-in form in one session (after 45 minutes you will be logged out of the system). We recommend you gather the required documents before you get started.
WHO MUST CHECK IN?
- All new international students in J-1 status
- All new international students in J-1 status who transferred from another school in the US and will begin a program at Mason
WHEN CAN I CHECK IN?
- You must be present in the U.S. AND have a form DS-2019 from George Mason University BEFORE you can begin the check-in process.
- You must have activated your Patriot Pass in order to access the form
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR CHECK-IN
For All Students:
- DS-2019 from George Mason University
- Passport (biographical page), J-1 Visa and U.S. Entry Stamp (Except for Canadian Citizens)
- I-94 Arrival Record* (Go to https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home and select "Get Most Recent I-94")
- Screenshot of your Spring 2021 course schedule from Patriot Web confirming at least 50% of courses are in-person or hybrid courses.
* The I-94 form is proof of your legal visitor status and it reflects your U.S. arrival and departure history for the past 5 years. Please note that your I-94 Arrival Record will only be available for download AFTER you have been in the U.S. for 3-5 days. For example, if you arrive in the U.S. on Monday, July 22, your I-94 Arrival Record may not be available until Friday, July 26th.
In addition, you may also need to submit the following:
For Students with an On-Campus Job (GTA, GRA, Bookstore, etc.):
- Job Offer Letter
For Students with Dependents (A dependent can be a spouse or child in J-2 status):
- DS-2019 for Dependents
- Passport for Dependents
- J-2 Visa and U.S. Entry Stamp for Dependents
You can use a computer or a mobile device (tablet or smart phone) to complete the Online Check-In Form. If you do not have access to a computer and/or internet, you can use one of the Mason computers in the computer labs or libraries. For more information about Mason Wi-Fi, click here.
ACCEPTED FILE UPLOAD FORMATS
Accepted File Upload Formats are pdf, jpeg, png and word doc. We accept documents as scans, screenshots and photos. If the quality of the document is not good (illegible or the entire image wasn't scanned) your check-in request will be rejected and you will need to upload new versions of your documents.
PROBLEMS WITH YOUR ONLINE CHECK-IN?
If you experience any problems with your online check-in, please complete the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form or send a chat message (scroll down to find the chat icon). An OIPS staff member will contact you within 1-2 business days. Click here to access the New International Student Check-in Troubleshooting form.
Answer the following questions:
- Are you currently in the US?
- Do you have a valid DS-2019 from George Mason University?
- Is today's date Monday, January 4, 2021, or later?
- Did you prepare all the required documents?
- Have you activated your Patriot Pass?
If you answered "yes" to all of the questions above, then you are ready to begin your check-in! Click on the green button "International Student Check-in Form for J-1 Students" to proceed.