NOTE: This is the accessible text version of the important information given at the top of the Compatriots application form. To access the application form, please visit:
What are the benefits of participating in Compatriots?
- Making new friends!
- Participating in fun campus events
- Learning about a new culture
- Sharing your culture with a fellow Mason student
- Feeling more connected to the Mason community
What have past participants said about the Compatriots program?
- “[The most valuable thing I learned was] how much you can have in common with someone who grew up across the globe.”
- “[The most rewarding part of the program was] meeting and knowing a new, amazing person on campus!”
- “[My favorite experience with my buddy was] playing tennis together.”
- “[The most valuable thing I learned was] to open myself up and meet new people.”
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Eligibility Requirements for International Students:
– Undergraduate Student
– 18 years old or older
– Interested in learning more about American culture and GMU through social activities
– Must speak English well enough to have conversations
Eligibility Requirements for American Students:
– Undergraduate Sophomore, Junior, or Senior
– 18 years old or older
– Interested in learning more about other cultures
– Interested in helping international students learn about American culture and GMU through social activities
1) For Fall 2016, participants matched with a buddy are required to attend at least the three events below with their buddy:
– Get Connected Fair, Wednesday, September 7th, 11:00am-2:00pm, JC North Plaza
– Mason Madness, Friday, October 14th, 8:00-10:00pm (doors at 7:30pm), EagleBank Arena
– International Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 17th, 5-7pm (date and time subject to change), Location TBD
NOTE: Substitutions can be made in advance on a case-by-case basis if classes, religious holidays and observances, or other extenuating circumstances prevent participation.
2) Respond to required monthly and end-of-semester surveys:
– We will send out very brief surveys each month to check in on your experience in Compatriots and connect with you about any issues
– There will be an end-of-semester survey (not very long) to ask about your experience as a whole in the program
Mason Compatriots is not an English tutoring program. Applicants should be able to speak English well enough to have conversations. Generally, this would mean an undergraduate student admitted into a degree program at Mason, or an advanced-level Academic English student.
The Compatriots program PROHIBITS the recruiting, soliciting, and proselytizing of any participants, or otherwise exploiting access to the participants of this program. Participants reported to be engaging in these activities will be immediately terminated from the program.
Although we cannot respond to specific requests for buddy connections, we do our best to connect students based on their interests. Please keep in mind that our ability to connect students is dependent on the number and type of applications received, so you may not be connected immediately.
FAQ – FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How is the matching done?
In the application, we will ask you about your hobbies and interests. We match students based on their answers to these questions, so please answer thoughtfully!
I need a language practice partner; should I apply to Compatriots?
The Compatriots program’s main purpose is cultural exchange through social activities; language practice is not a main purpose of this program. Students interested in only language practice should join the Mason Language Exchange.
I always attend Mason Madness or the Get Connected Fair with my friends or my student org; do I have to attend only with my buddy if I apply to Compatriots?
No! We encourage you to bring your buddy ALONG WITH your friend group, or to have your two friend groups join together to attend as one big group. The more, the merrier!
Thank you for your patience and for helping us make this program a success!