F-1 students may work on any of Mason's three US campuses (Fairfax, Arlington and SciTech) up to 20 hours per week during spring and fall semesters, and full-time during vacation periods (summer, winter, and spring breaks). The employment may either come from a GMU income source or the third party business that serves Mason students on-campus, such as the bookstore, bank, or food services.
Code of Federal Regulations (CFR): 8 CFR 214.2 (f)(9)(i)
Student Eligibility Requirements
1. Must be maintaining F-1 status;
2. Must have a valid and accurate I-20 from George Mason University.
Fall and Spring: max. twenty hours per week
School breaks in winter, spring and summer: full-time employment is allowed
IMPORTANT: F-1 students who have an assistantship of 20 hours per week cannot accept additional employment during the semesters.
Got a Job Offer?
Here is what you need to do before you begin your work:
If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN):
- Review part A of the New International Employee guide
- Review the MasonOnBoard email sent by your employer (see New International Employee guide, step #2)
- Complete the On-campus Employment Certification (OCEC) form
- Request an Enrollment Certification
- Apply for a SSN
- Complete the form I-9 (included in the MasonOnBoard email)
- Visit the International Tax Office
In this video, Vinay shares his experience with applying for a SSN.
IMPORTANT: You need a job offer to apply for Social Security Number (SSN).
Looking for an on-campus job?
Most of the on-campus jobs are listed on Handshake, brought to you by University Career Services. Each year, University Career Services staff help thousands of Mason students discover careers. They offer career counseling, industry-focused advising, resume critique, many events, online resources, and more.
If you are interested in applying for jobs and internships on Handshake you will need to upload a copy of your resume.
TIP: To expedite the Handshake resume approval process you are encouraged to utilize the University Career Services walk-in hours to get feedback on your resume BEFORE you upload it to Handshake.