International students are an integral part of the Mason community. They help us see the world better through a multicultural-perspective. What is considered normal or acceptable in one cultural context might not be so much in another. Great opportunity to learn about the challenges faced with international students, and hone skills on how to better support them and help build a better global community at Mason!
Working with International Students Workshop
Wednesday, March 10, 2021
2:00pm - 4:00pm
Sponsored by International Programs and Services
Please register early!
This interactive workshop is designed to discuss issues and tools involved in working with international students at Mason. Here are some of the questions we will answer during the training:
- What do we mean when we say “International Student”?
- Who are the international students at Mason, and how do our demographics compare with national trends?
- What exactly is culture, and how does culture, and our cultural assumptions, affect our work, both with students and with each other?
- What do we mean when we say a particular culture is “high context” or “low context”?
- What are some tools that can make us more effective in communicating across cultures?
- What are some practical tips that we can employ in our future work?
Come learn from OIPS, share stories and lived experiences, and learn from one another!