J-1 Scholar Program Extension

To request an extension of your J-1 status up to the maximum period allowable under the regulations, you must initiate your request through your department. The extension process (including obtaining a new DS-2019) must be completed before the end date as noted on your current DS-2019 form.

OIPS will need the following documents from the supervising faculty member or other authorized department personnel:

  • J-1 Scholar Request Form with the proposed dates of extension, the amount and source of the funding*
  • Health Insurance Coverage Extension
  • Research Statement

(* The extension information is listed on p. 6 of the J-1 Dept Request Form)

If your stay is not supported by GMU funding, you will need to provide OIPS with proof of funds (i.e., external grant award letter, a letter from your government/ home country university or organization, or personal bank statement, etc.).

Departments can submit documents for extension through campus mail (MSN 4C3) 14 business days prior to expiration of the J-1 program.

New DS-2019 Form

OIPS will prepare a new DS-2019 reflecting the extended period. Please note that a new DS-2019 will be issued to reflect the new period of stay. That document legally extends your J-1 visit as long as you remain in the U.S.

If you have a spouse or child(ren) in J-2 status, their stays will also be extended.

Should you travel outside the U.S. during this new period of valid J-1 status (other than visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico and adjacent territories), you must have a valid J-1 visa in your passport. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will use the new DS-2019 to apply for a new J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S. When you apply for a J-1 extension, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.

Maintaining Health Insurance

In extending your J-1 stay you must also be certain to extend your health insurance coverage. Failure to do so will result in the termination of your J-1 status.